Full Skin Checks
Our doctors have undergone additional training in skin cancer diagnosis and treatment and perform a top to toe skin examination. The fee is $140 and attracts a Medicare rebate that can be processed at the clinic (provided your bank details are registered with Medicare http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/online-services/register ).
About skin cancer
Each time your skin is exposed to ultraviolet (UV) radiation, changes take place in the structure and function of our skin cells. Over time, the skin can become permanently damaged, which will worsen with each exposure.
Every additional decade of overexposure to UV further increases your risk of skin cancer. Increased use of sun protection against sun exposure will help prevent skin cancer and melanoma at any age.
All skin types can be damaged by exposure to UV radiation. People with skin types which are less likely to burn are still at risk, albeit lower, of developing skin cancer.
A full top to toe skin check along with self-checks and sun protection, will reduce your risk. Remember, if any skin spots seem to undergo a sudden ‘growth spurt’ see a doctor immediately.
People at higher risk of skin cancer
People at higher risk of skin cancer are those who:
- previously had a skin cancer and/or have a family history of skin cancer
- have a large number of moles on their skin
- have a skin type that is sensitive to ultraviolet (UV) radiation and burns easily
- have a history of severe/blistering sunburns
- spend lots of time outdoors, unprotected, during their lifetime
- actively tan or use solariums or sunlamps
- work outdoors