Acne is one of the most common skin conditions we treat at Northern Skin Studio. We recommed an initial medical consulation with one of our doctors before a plan is created.
Affects approx. 85% of young people
Age of onsetPuberty-10 and goes until 17 in females and 14-19 in males but may start for the first time at 20 years of age or older.
More severe in men than women
Lower incidence in Asians and Africans
Genetics: the majority of those with cytic acne with have a family history
Three main culprits are listed below and there is a complex interaction between these issues.
1. Follicular keratinisation (too much dead skin clogging the oil gland/skin follicle)
2. Hormones (androgens)
3. Skin bacteria (Proprionibacterium acnes)
Acne makes people depressed about their skin. In addition, scarring left by cystic acne is generally more difficult and more expensive to treat that the active disease.
- initial assessment of acne causes, severity, exacerbating factors and scar assessment
- skin care advice
- topical and oral Prescription medication (chemical exfoliants, antibiotics (or other antibacterials), hormonal treatments)
- referral to a dermatologist for regulated oral retinoid medication (Roaacutane) for severe acne
- for scarring: laser resurfacing / radiofrequency / dermal fillers / Dermapen
- chemical Peels
- photodynamic therapy
- treatment of large cysts with steroid injections or surgical removal
- Microdermabrasion/deep cleanse/microcyst extractions